Tips for Designing a Great Company Logo
If you are preparing to design signage for your company, you probably are going to want to include your logo in the design. However, some young companies may either not have a logo, or might be looking to redesign before they invest in signage that they hope to last a long time.
Here are some tips for designing a great company logo before that logo is put into permanent signage:
- Be as unique as possible: The whole point of a logo is to make a first impression of your brand that lasts. If you do not have a unique logo, it’s hard for you to stand out from competitors in your industry. You want people to look at the logo and immediately connect it with your brand.
- Know your brand identity: Your logo should align with the brand identity you are trying to build. It should be attractive to your target audience, and align with the general tone and personality you have created for your brand. A brand that is upbeat and quirky will have a different type of logo than a brand that is focused on professionalism and demonstrating vast knowledge and experience.
- Make smart use of color: Different colors evoke different types of emotions. Red is a very bold and energetic color, while green evokes growth and education. Blue is professional, tranquil and trustworthy, while yellow is bright, optimistic and cheerful. The types of colors you choose should align with your brand identity as well.
- Make sure it’s flexible: Your logo should be as flexible as possible so it can be used in a wide variety of applications. It should be able to work almost as well in black and white as it does in color. It should be able to be scaled up and down in size without losing the message or important details in the design. Your logo is going to appear on multiple devices, screen sizes and media types, so this flexibility is extremely important.
- Aim for something timeless: While you might over time change the design of your website or marketing materials, your logo is something that should last through the years. Therefore, try as hard as you can to develop a design that will not go out of style in the next decade. While it can be hard to anticipate design trends far in advance, future-proofing your logo will go a long way toward more successful branding.
For more tips about designing a great logo, contact us today at Erie Custom Signs.