The Characteristics of a Good Logo
Your company’s logo is an extremely important part of the overall brand image you put together. A well-designed one enhances your professionalism and your overall character, while a poorly designed one can make your company look cheap and unworthy of patronage.
But what exactly goes into making a good logo? Here are some important elements to keep in mind:
- Branding potential. First and foremost, any logo you develop must fit in well with your brand. What is the message you want to send your customers? What characteristics or personality traits do you want your brand to exude? You wouldn’t have an outrageous, sparkly, hot pink and orange design if your company’s image is supposed to be more serious and professional, for example. Or, if you’re an ice cream shop or toy store, you’ll want a logo that’s fun, not boring.
- Memorability. The best logos give the viewer an instant association with the brand. You want people to look at your logo and think, “[Your Company’s Name.]” This means there has to be some element of uniqueness and interest to your logo to separate it from others.
- Aesthetically appealing. It might sound obvious, but it’s worth repeating: your logo has to look good. And not only should it look good, but it should instantly evoke the types of feelings you want your brand to exude because of how well the design flows, because of the colors you’ve chosen and because of the imagery you use.
- Versatility. Your logo should be versatile enough that it can be used across a wide variety of platforms. It should be able to work on your website, on your social media platforms, in print, in video, on letterhead and more. It shouldn’t have so much detail that design elements get lost when it is shrunk down to fit on business cards, for example.
- Timelessness. Your logo shouldn’t be one that easily goes out of date. It’s one thing to do occasional touch-ups over time. It’s another to have to completely re-do your logo. Design your logo well enough the first time around that you’re certain it will last for decades.
Erie Custom Signs can help you create custom designs and logos for your business signs. Contact us today for more information.