How to Take Your Sign Company to the Next Level
Table of contents
Regardless of whether you’ve been running a sign shop for decades or just recently opened your doors, there’s always room for improvement.
According to the ISA Industry Quarterly Economic Report, the sign industry is projected to experience 2.8% growth in 2019 and 1.8% in 2020.
These figures are certainly promising… but if you don’t look for ways to better your own business, you won’t be able to take advantage of that growth or reach the next level of success.
That’s why we’ve put together some simple yet highly effective tips for those who are interested in revamping their sign company.
With some modifications to your business, you can…
- Increase sales
- Expand your product selection
- Strengthen your relationships
- And more
Read on to learn how you can take your sign company to the next level.
1) Research New Technology and Innovation
As technology evolves, so does the sign industry. Just consider how quickly digital signage took off!
If you want your sign company to succeed, it’s important to stay up to date on the latest technology and use it to advance your business.
- Attend trade shows to see what companies are offering in terms of new sign material, equipment, and software.
- Read trade journals to gain insight into what trends will be popular over the coming year.
- Take a look at what tools and methods your competitors are using that have proven popular with consumers.
However, your research shouldn’t end at what technology you can incorporate into the fabrication process. You should also consider bolstering your marketing efforts online and upgrading your website for better user experience.
2) Make Customer Service a Top Priority
When a customer is happy, the opportunity for future sales grows—both from repeat business and word-of-mouth marketing. That’s why it’s crucial for your team to make the sign acquisition process as easy and pleasant as possible.
- Make it a point to address questions and concerns as quickly as possible.
- Offer a wide range of options regarding materials, textures, finishes, designs, and more.
- Set up a quote process so a potential customer knows exactly how much their project will cost.
Additionally, your team shouldn’t be afraid to offer suggestions or input whenever needed. In some cases, a client may not have a specific look in mind for their signage. Providing recommendations gives you the opportunity to demonstrate your expertise and prove your value.
3) Invest in Your Team
Those employed at your company are a vital part of your business and should be treated that way. That means giving them all of the tools they need to succeed in their respective positions.
- Take members of your sales team along to trade shows so they have a better understanding of what they’re selling and make sure they have sufficient tools for documenting sales calls.
- Provide your art department with the latest graphic design software so they can produce clear, attractive sketches for your clients’ review.
- Research training offered by equipment manufacturers so your fabricators know how to use the machinery in your shop effectively.
Moreover, a successful sign company (or any business, for that matter) is one that keeps employees happy so they continue to deliver high-quality work. With that in mind, it’s important to show your appreciation for your team and all that they do.
4) Hold High Standards for Quality
Though this may seem obvious, a sign company must provide customers with high-quality products if they want to stay in the marketplace for long.
Sign fabrication is a highly competitive industry, which means consumers have a number of businesses to choose from. Ensuring that your own sign company is delivering attractive, durable displays that exceed your customers’ expectations is a key part of your success.
- Perform regular maintenance on all machinery so that you don’t run into issues during the fabrication process.
- Invest in high-quality paint, ink, and overlays so that finished products don’t peel or chip in a short period of time.
- Put a quality assurance system in place so that each order is thoroughly inspected and approved before being shipped out.
Further, it’s important to acknowledge your sign company’s own capabilities. In some cases, you may not be equipped to handle a client’s order, and outsourcing to a third party may be your best option—which brings us to our final tip…
5) Develop Partnerships with Third Parties
Though it’s tempting to view every other sign company as a competitor, the truth is that collaboration is extremely valuable for those in this industry.
Chances are you don’t have the space or funds to invest in every type of machine or material available, which means you won’t be able to handle every request that comes your way.
- Form partnerships with sign shops that advertise different products from your own so you can refer each other to clients.
- Look for opportunities to purchase wholesale signage from larger sign shops.
- Outsource to a sign company that specializes in ADA signage when you receive orders for compliance signs, as these displays must follow very strict guidelines.
Moreover, you should make every effort to collaborate and develop strong relationships with vendors, employees, and clients. Doing so with the goal of both parties benefiting means you’ll get one step closer to taking your sign company to the next level.
Obviously these aren’t the only tips you should implement to put your sign company in a good position for future growth, but they’ll give you a solid start.
Ultimately, you should always be on the lookout for ways you can improve your business. And if expanding your product offerings by purchasing wholesale ADA signage is on your list, be sure to check out our new e-commerce store.