Benefits of ADA Restroom Signs
- Compliance: Under the ADA, all permanent rooms in a public facility—such as bathrooms—are required to have compliant signage in place. By purchasing and installing ADA restroom signs in your facility, you can avoid incurring fines or being hit with lawsuits.
- Inclusive environment: By adding ADA restroom signs to your facility, you can create a warm, welcoming environment and show that you care about all visitors and staff members.
- Easy identification: In schools, for example, restroom signs with the appropriate male and female symbols can make identification much easier for non-English speaking individuals and younger students who are unable to read.
- Affordability: ADA restroom signs are an affordable option for those who need to ensure bathrooms are identified in a clear manner—especially when you take advantage of our e-commerce store.
Why choose Erie Custom Signs for ADA restroom signs
ADA Restroom Sign Series Gallery
Low maintenance and durable, laminate is a popular choice for high-traffic areas. Our laminate options come in a number of styles and finishes to fit the look of your facility.
The products you order can actually help improve your facility’s branding efforts. We can customize signage and memory boxes by adding your unique logo, color scheme, and more.
Our use of Matthew Paint ensures that your new signs won’t clash with existing décor. We’re able to match colors from Pantone, Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, and others.
Improve daily living for residents with vibrant, visible signage made from Rowmark ADA Alternative acrylic. Choose from a wide array of shades to match your color scheme.
What characteristics should an ADA-compliant restroom sign have?
- Raised and braille characters with pictorial symbols: All letters and numbers must be raised by 1/32 inch in upper case, be in sans serif or simple serif font types, and have Grade 2 Braille. All raised characters must be at least 5/8 inches high, but should not be any higher than 2 inches. Pictograms placed on restroom signs should also have a written description of the picture directly below it. Additionally, the border dimension of the pictogram should be at least 6 inches in height.
- Finish and contrast: The background and characters on ADA restroom signs should have matte, eggshell, or another type of non-glare finish. Symbols and characters must have a stark contrast with the background—either light characters on a dark background or vice versa. The recommended amount of contrast is 70%.
- Mounting specifications: If restroom signs are mounted permanently to a wall, they should be placed on the wall that is adjacent to the side of the door with the latch or handle. For double-leaf doors, signs should be mounted on the closest adjacent wall. The specific location for mounting should be 60 inches above the floor to the center of the sign. Further, the sign should be mounted in a location where anyone can approach within 3 inches of the sign without running into objects or standing in the area where the door would swing out.
- Accessibility symbols: Any symbols used on restroom signs should follow the international symbol of accessibility.
- California Restroom Sign Requirements: Additionally, California has its own strict guidelines for how ADA restroom signs should be designed, which is why businesses located in “The Golden State” should entlist the help of a sign fabricator familiar with the state’s regulations. Click here for more specific information and guidelines on California Restroom Signs.
Erie Custom Signs is amazing! My subcontractor received the signs ahead of schedule, which will ensure that they are installed on time. Thank you again for your assistance in this quick turnaround. I will be using your company again in the future!
Tusick + Associates Architects, Inc.
Erie Custom Signs did an awesome job. Thanks to Mike and the team for such prompt service. They’re now my go-to for ADA signage.
Hwy 35 Signs
The Erie team is always expedient in their responses, and they continually meet our extremely tight deadlines. Their work is of the highest quality and their customer service is top notch! We really appreciate having a fabricator like Erie Custom signs. They are always up for a challenge and continually produce our unique sign designs.