In the market for ADA restroom signs? If your facility is open to the public, it’s of the utmost importance to ensure the restroom signs you purchase are 100% compliant.
Fortunately, when you shop in our e-commerce store, you can have peace of mind that any display you choose will be made according to ADA rules and regulations.
Why choose Erie Custom Signs for ADA restroom signs
If you need to update the restroom signs within your facility, you can trust that Erie Custom Signs has the tools, skills, and knowledge to do the job correctly. With years of experience in ADA sign fabrication and a team that stays up to date on all ADA news, Erie Custom Signs goes the extra mile to ensure our clients receive attractive, affordable, 100% compliant displays.
And with the introduction of our e-commerce store, those in need of ADA restroom signs can get them even quicker and easier than before. By taking advantage of our Quick Ship Signs, you can select the design you want, provide your payment information, and submit your order in minutes.
Need to order custom restroom signs? Click here to request a quote now!
What are the benefits of ADA restroom signs?
- Compliance: Under the ADA, all permanent rooms in a public facility—such as bathrooms—are required to have compliant signage in place. By purchasing and installing ADA restroom signs in your facility, you can avoid incurring fines or being hit with lawsuits.
- Inclusive environment: By adding ADA restroom signs to your facility, you can create a warm, welcoming environment and show that you care about all visitors and staff members.
- Easy identification: In schools, for example, restroom signs with the appropriate male and female symbols can make identification much easier for non-English speaking individuals and younger students who are unable to read.
- Affordability: ADA restroom signs are an affordable option for those who need to ensure bathrooms are identified in a clear manner—especially when you take advantage of our e-commerce store.
What characteristics should an ADA-compliant restroom sign have?
- Raised and braille characters with pictorial symbols: All letters and numbers must be raised by 1/32 inch in upper case, be in sans serif or simple serif font types, and have Grade 2 Braille. All raised characters must be at least 5/8 inches high, but should not be any higher than 2 inches. Pictograms placed on restroom signs should also have a written description of the picture directly below it. Additionally, the border dimension of the pictogram should be at least 6 inches in height.
- Finish and contrast: The background and characters on ADA restroom signs should have matte, eggshell, or another type of non-glare finish. Symbols and characters must have a stark contrast with the background—either light characters on a dark background or vice versa. The recommended amount of contrast is 70%.
- Mounting specifications: If restroom signs are mounted permanently to a wall, they should be placed on the wall that is adjacent to the side of the door with the latch or handle. For double-leaf doors, signs should be mounted on the closest adjacent wall. The specific location for mounting should be 60 inches above the floor to the center of the sign. Further, the sign should be mounted in a location where anyone can approach within 3 inches of the sign without running into objects or standing in the area where the door would swing out.
- Accessibility symbols: Any symbols used on restroom signs should follow the international symbol of accessibility.
Additionally, California has its own strict guidelines for how ADA restroom signs should be designed, which is why businesses located in “The Golden State” should enlist the help of a sign fabricator familiar with the state’s specific regulations.
Need a unique design or color scheme? We can create custom restroom signs with graphics, colors, and templates to fit your business’ personality!
Examples of our Custom Restroom Signs include: